Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Current Beauty Stuff: Historical Perfumes And Colognes



When I was in Capri recently I kept seeing displays in the pharmacy windows of beautiful bottles of perfume (this was when I wasn’t trying to take covert snaps of VALENTINO wandering around the town with his entourage and pug). One evening we took a stroll down the hill and just past a stand selling fresh lemon granita, discovered the source of the bottles – the original lab where the perfume was first produced.

It’s still working today and has a shop whose walls are covered in photos of Jackie O and other glamorous stars of yesteryear stocking up on bottles of the stuff. I came away with a bar of soap shaped like a lemon (seriously, there are lemons everywhere – I even ate my lemon risotto out of a bowl made from a lemon one night) and a fistful of tester cards sprayed with different scents.

I love a good beauty story and Capri’s Carthusia perfumery has a cracker: apparently it all dates back to 1380, when the prior of the Carthusian monastery received a surprise visit from Queen Joan of Anjou. He hastily picked a bouquet of flowers for his VIP and after three days, noticed that the water they’d been standing in smelled amazing. A friar identified the source of the scent as the ‘Garofilium Silvestre Caprese’ and so Capri’s first fragrance was born (I don’t care if this story is true, it’s lovely).

Aqua di Parma unisex cologne is one of my mum’s signature scents and I love it too. Dating back to 1916, this Italian (made in Parma) eau de cologne is slightly warmer and spicier than the S3, but still fresh and light, thanks to a combination of Sicilian citrus, jasmine, verbena and Bulgarian rose with woody base notes of vetiver, cedar and sandal.

The Full Article On XOJane

No comments:

Post a Comment