Monday, August 12, 2013

Signature Scents I've Loved Throughout My Life



by Marissa Gold 

Scientists believe that our sense of smell is strongly tied to our memory. If you've ever walked past a guy wearing JOOP! and had a sobering flashback to a purposely forgotten high school hook-up, you know this.

And just as your eighth-period crush has since expanded his fragrance roster, so have you, most likely. You probably have at least a few perfumes that you associate with certain times in your life, and smelling any of the above will likely trigger tons of (hopefully positive!) memories. Let's reminisce. Here's a look back at my signature scents at every stage of life—I can't wait to hear yours.

Middle School: Love's Baby Soft
I was strongly influenced by an ad in a teen magazine in which The Hot Guy in a fictional high school proclaims how much he loves his girlfriend's Love's Baby Soft perfume. This smell takes me back to the awkwardness of those early dates that your mom had to drive you to. [Smells like: baby powder]

High School: L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons
What 16-year-old spends $100 on perfume? This kid right here. I went shopping armed with birthday money and blew it all on this fragrance because it was so pretty. And pink. And French. In my defense, I still have that same bottle to this day, which is somehow not empty yet and still smells fresh as the day I bought it. Every time I wear it, I flash back to being 16, which is a precious gift for anyone who's hit the big 3-0. [Smells like: pink flowers]

College: Aquolina Pink Sugar
This was probably when my interest in sugary smells began. I sampled this at my local Sephora and then wore it religiously in college. It takes me back to all the fun times in college—and reminds me of a certain roomie who was known to steal a spritz whenever I'd leave the room (you know who you are). [Smells like: sugar + pink pepper]

Post-College: Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot
What club soda is to mixed drinks, this perfume is to my collection. It goes well with everything, so I alternated wearing it alone and wearing it mixed with other stuff I loved to sweeten it up. This one makes me think of all the nights out I had when I first moved into NYC. [Smells like: candied apricots]

Current Favorite: Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb
There's a reason this perfume is a best-seller. It's the perfect blend of spicy and sweet, and every guy I know seems to love it. It also smells like a more "grown-up" version of other scents I've worn before. [Smells like: spicy vanilla]

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment