Monday, September 9, 2013

Edinburgh Fringe stagehand almost died after breathing in audience member's perfume


A STAGEHAND almost died when he breathed in perfume at an Edinburgh Fringe show.

Bryn Jones went into anaphylactic shock after he inhaled the scent from a member of the audience.

As his throat tightened and he began to struggle for breath, the 22-year-old managed to text a friend to bring him medication.

He even carried on with his technical duties throughout the play.

But by the time his medication arrived, Bryn was lying on the floor and his face had turned blue.

The stagehand, who recovered quickly after taking his pills, said: “A friend of mine came into the room, grabbed me and gave me what I needed just as the show ended. I was in a pretty bad way.

“The chemicals in some of these perfumes are not usually too much of an issue for me.

“I thought it would be good to get outside. But the only entrance out is behind the audience, so I couldn’t really leave.

“I’d have had to cross the stage and move through the audience, but I didn’t want to interrupt the show.

“I haven’t had a reaction quite like that before but I had to finish the show.”

The crisis out of a drama happened at the New Town Theatre on George Street during a production of Harold Pinter play The Dumb Waiter.

After the show was over, Bryn managed to head over to the city’s Bedlam Theatre to work on another performance – his third of the day.

He added: “I was glad to make it to my next show.”

source

No comments:

Post a Comment