Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Perfume at work: should you or shouldn't you?


Since I have a still-hush-hush fragrance-related venture up my sleeve scheduled to launch next year, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the topic of wearing perfume to work. I'm certainly not the only person who’s sat in a meeting and found an excuse to move seats because my neighbour’s fragrance was overwhelming me. (In the 80s, someone coined the term ‘room-rockers’ for these powerful creations.) Nevertheless, I absolutely defend the idea that it’s OK to wear fragrance in an office environment – it’s what you wear, and how much, that’s relevant.

In the States, however, there has actually been a legal move to outlaw perfume in the workplace – in the US Census Bureau, and government offices in the city of Detroit, it’s no longer allowed. Whether or not anyone in Detroit can afford fragrance now the city’s gone bankrupt is, of course, another matter. Some private employers in Canada and the US have followed suit: yet again, something ‘everyday’ has been elevated to a 'Elf & Safety issue.

But there’s ‘work-appropriate’ fragrance, and the stuff we wear for playtime/ seduction – and (leaving aside the thorny topic of office romances) the two aren’t the same. So having devoted a blog of mine last week to the gritty subject of women and war, I thought I’d redress the balance with a perhaps fluffier run-down of the fragrances I consider most suitable for the workplace. (I’m all about the yin and yang.) Here goes.

Full Article 

No comments:

Post a Comment