When it comes to your wedding day, you'll want to smell as amazing as you'll surely look. That's why finding the right fragrance is just as important as picking out your dream wedding dress. Before you start spritzing, you'll need to know when to shop, how to test out various perfumes, and what will determine the best scent for your body. You—and everyone who catches a whiff—can thank us later.
1. When you embark on shopping for a wedding-day fragrance, go in the afternoon, when your sense of smell is at its peak.
2. Find your fragrance type. Are you "fresh" (i.e., a fruity floral) or "warm" (e.g., a spicy musk)? Picking one will help you tailor your search, says Chris Wyatt, head of global education at Jo Malone.
3. Don't be a follower. Body chemistry can change the way a perfume smells, so what works for your BFF—or your favorite celeb—may not work for you.
4. Skip the blotting strips—because you won't know how a scent smells on your skin until it's, well, on your skin. Aim the atomizer at pulse points like your wrists, neck, and décolletage. And limit yourself to two scents per shopping trip to avoid olfactory burnout.
5. Sit with it. Most perfumes take at least half an hour to dry. And until one does, you won't be able to smell the top, middle, and base notes. So take a little walk before you commit.
And if buying perfume over-the-counter doesn't do the trick, why not try a custom blend? Hello, you're personalizing your cocktail—why not your fragrance? Bespoke perfumer Sarah Horowitz just launched Original Scent (from $99) helping brides and grooms create totally one-of-a-kind wedding fragrances. You can even have yours made into a unity candle for your ceremony. Love that!
Clockwise from top: Elie Saab Le Parfum eau de toilette, $75, neimanmarcus.com; Stella McCartney L.I.L.Y. eau de parfum, $100, sephora.com; Victoria's Secret Beauty Love Is Heavenly eau de parfum, $42, victoriassecret.com; Michael Kors Gold Rose Edition eau de parfum, $98, michaelkors.com; Salvatore Ferragamo Signorina eau de parfum, $74, nordstrom.com
—Written by Brides