Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Problem With Perfume


By James Wilson

I was recently at my bank for a meeting. What struck me as I walked into the large open space, filled with a dozen or so people, was the unmistakable scent of Tom Ford Black Orchid. For those uninitiated, it's a lovely fragrance that smells like a musky, chocolaty, flower. Unusual yet compelling. It is, however, rather potent; one spray will usually suffice.
The wall of fragrance that I experienced that day was quite something; it has dispersed throughout the entire ground floor and really overpowered the senses. I went upstairs for my meeting and forgot about it. The meeting ended around half an hour later and I went back down the stairs to leave. Amazingly, the ground floor was still rather fragranced even though it was now deserted.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no anti perfume protester; I'm a big fan of fragrances and own several myself. What irks me though are those who use enough perfume to make me wonder if what I'm breathing is more perfume than air.
I think a lot of people are under the belief that if they can't smell their own fragrance, then no one else can. I remember being sat in a waiting room next to a lady who was what can only be described as heavily fragranced. Whilst I sat there, trying to will away the smell of roses with my mind alone, I was amazed to see her reach into her handbag and produce a bottle of perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment