Monday, February 25, 2013

Avoid “Grandma Scents” At All Costs


If you’re a woman who accessorizes with perfume, consider this: According to men, you might stink! Since Americans spend close to $5 billion on fragrances a year, it’s time to make sure we're getting our money’s worth.

Certain scents trigger memories, and your scent certainly shouldn't bring up memories of grandma. As eloquently put by one man, “I hate any pungent smell that, with my eyes closed, makes me feel like I'm hugging my grandmother.

It’s a concoction somewhere between potpourri and church incense.” Another told us, "Tea Rose smells like Grandma at a quilting bee. Whenever a younger woman is wearing it, she immediately looks like my Nana to me." I am guessing some guys have too many opinions. I do recall her grandma smelling fresh all the time, very soapy smell. I now appreciate not having spent a lot of time with her, otherwise, it might have a great influence on my taste in perfumes.

If you happen to have one of those scents, give it away to the next person you see, hopefully of the same gender or alternatively, you can save it for the bathroom use. To be clear, I loved my nana, she is awesome.

And always remember, spritz lightly: No matter which scent you choose, don’t overdo it. According to one guy, there’s few things less sexy “than the overbearing smell of perfume.” No man (or woman) wants to taste your perfume in the air.

The safest way to apply perfume is to spray it in front of you, then walk into the mist. If it’s a roller-ball applicator, dab (don’t roll) it behind the ears and on the wrists. Women should take caution spraying perfume on their décolletage; It can actually cause discoloration of the skin over time. To be perfectly clear, you should be your man's favorite perfume, all other things are optional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment